Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Upgrade Plan - What's to Come...

I don't know if I've recently become aquarium obsessed (yeah I know, more than now?) or what... but I've been eyeing a lot of upgrades recently to try and make my tank look even better than it is now. While the tank doesn't look bad by any means, I think I want to take it to the next level for both my corals and my fishes.

So what's to come? I think over the course of the next year, I may be eyeing at lighting upgrade to boost my current 150w MH's to 250w MH's. I'm pretty sure the moment I do this, LED lighting will be widely available and probably become a lot cheaper than the current PFO version; such as the one below by Current USA supplemented by PC's.


Then again, who knows... this is a never ending money pit cycle. The other thing is, Current-USA just came out with a HQI/T5 version of the Outer Orbit lights which may run cheaper and may be brighter than the current PC duel compact solution. I'm seriously debating this light over my current one so I can make the 250w upgrade there instead of on the current light. Why? Well, one for the monthly bill reason but also, I've always thought the PC's run a bit too blue for me, therefore if I have the T5's, I can maybe run 3 tubes of 420nms and 1 tube of 460nms to get more glow and less blue.

I'm also waiting for the new Seio multi-controller so I can simulate a somewhat erratic wave pattern in my tank. While this may or may not be necessary to make my corals look any better than they do now, it seems like it would be a good upgrade just because.

Another thing I'm looking to upgrade is to get a HOB calcium reactor for the tank, which is probably the first or second step to getting REALLY crazy with this hobby. With over 30 SPS frags in my tank, I think this may be the only way to get them to come out looking great, but who knows? Grass is always greener on the other side and maybe it won't make that much of a difference from what I'm dosing now.

Last but not least, The ReefKeeper 2. This gadget looks cool, is convenient, but not sure how much I actually need it. Nevertheless, it's now on my want list... do you think this is something I can register for on the wedding registry? I would think only a select group of my friends would understand and actually get me this if it happens to sneak on that list, which it probably won't. D'Oh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home