Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Ugh... the bi-color blenny is NOT reef safe!


With now about 40+ types of polyps and 25+ frags of SPS, I can now say my tank is fragtastic! (Hey! If Comcast can butcher a word then so can the rest of us.) So when my tank first thrived in the 29 gallon, I bought a bi-color blenny baby to add some color and personality to the tank. My first bi-color was great. As far as I know, no nips to the corals and it even found a number of areas where it liked to hide and perch which made the tank interesting to watch.

Unfortunately, my bi-color died during the upgrade to the 90 gallon when the ammonia levels were too high. (Damn you new rocks!) In fact, it died the same day as my Potter's Angel which turned out to be a really sad and expensive day for me.

Well, since the first blenny died, I've now tried two bi-colors and both seemed to have taken a liking to my SPS corals. My first replacement was mostly purple instead of a cool purple and gold, which was already a strike for me. It also hid a lot instead of coming out which meant it was probably evil... but with that in mind, it was kind of a waste of money to buy a fish that only hid, so that was strike two. The final straw was when he proceeded to mow down most of my SPS frags nipping at the small polyps in a matter of four days; that's when I decided dead or alive, that blenny came out of the tank. I should have let my dogs take care of him when he hopped out, but trading him away live got me a free bi-color from the LFS.

My second replacement so far has great colors. I wouldn't say he's an angel but he's not as bad as the all purple bi-polar blenny. Anyway, if you have monti's and millies and acro's, unless they are already huge colonies that won't be bothered with a small nip here and there, I probably wouldn't recommend bi-color blennies. Of course, I'm hoping someone can tell me if more frequent feedings will curb this behavior, so if you guys have any tips on how to get the fish to behave, I'd love to hear some ideas.

6 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With a little reading you might notice that some blennies are known to nip at sps/lps and clam mantles. Just an fyi

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry that probably came across poorly

 
At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No problems in my tank, but I have the non-bipolar version of the bi-color blenny!! ha!
-gwen

 
At 1:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wei- I love your blog. Is there anyway I can be added to your blog mailing list if there is such a thing? Or many just start a group contacts list that u can email the link or something when a new blog is released. Or better yet, to make it look like I'm doing official business(Outlook is official), having the blog itself in the email might be better, but adding pics could be a pain. Anyways, you got my email, keep me up to date with this blog stuff!! Thanks so much for the zoas- they kick ass!! I can't wait til they grow out!! -gwen

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand you. This obsession bordelines on unhealthy....
But then again I am not one to talk. I probably game more than you play with your fish (but I bet I spend way less money on it!)

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wei,

I have had a bi-color blenny in a 120 reef since January and it's never touched coral. They are great algae eaters and are great for trimming algae on rocks. Mine also likes bubble leaf calupera and will eagerly eat any food offered to the tank.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home