Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Lazy = BAD!

Things have been going crazy around here. Well, busy in terms of personal life, but not so much on the fish tank front. However, even without working too much on the tank, there are lessons to be learned.

The good news is that I managed to go through about 21 days without even putting my hands in the tank. I'm sure for some of you, that sounds like an eternity. However, with the big crabs gone and no big fish to disturb the peace, the tank inhabitants were happy and no aquascaping was needed. What can I say, my fishes make me proud.

However, while I was still doing the bi-weekly water changes, I did get a little lazier during the interm. Even though I did have a ghetto auto-topoff system setup and I do have RO/DI water crankin it in the garage; for some reason, I just decided not to take the effort of going down a flight of stairs, get the water, and then come up a flight of stairs just to top off what the ghetto topper couldn't do right in the first place.

At first, nothing too bad seems to be happening. Aside from the slightly increase use of the glass cleaner magnet, no ill was done. However, over the course of three weeks, I began noticing some of my SPS starting to bleach, and that's when I screamed DOH! and realized that I probably did some permanent damage to the tank.

While nothing ETN'ed, the tank is still slowly recovering from semi-bleached corals. Had I only got the pure PURE water instead of the human grade water, things may have been better; but then again, I'd probably have nothing to write about. So, let my mistakes be a lesson to you. Don't be lazy and use the good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home