Saturday, June 23, 2007

Bacterial Bloom and another new fish!

A couple of days ago my tank randomly turned very cloudy... besides for the tang, I didn't really add anything else over the last few days. Needless to say, this is strange. The last time the tank turned this cloudy, we were cooking something in the house that smoked up... carbon took care of it last time in a day, but again, it did nothing for the tank this time even with two bags.

After much reading, it seems like I have a bacterial bloom. Since the haze is gray/white and not green (algae) or yellow (ammonia?) that seems to be the only logical conclusion. I guess to back track just a tad bit, I even took my water to the store to get it tested and everything came back and I quote: "perfect!"

Ah well... with perfect but cloudy water, this was good enough for me to add yet another fish. Although my first two tangs suffered ill fates maybe due to high nitrates or bad collection habits... I was REALLY glad to see that my Mimic Tang was healthy, eating, and not fighting with the existing inhabitants.

Well, I wanted to push my luck and decided to add a Clown Tang into the tank. I've always loved the colors and the patterns on these fish and so fargood to see that he too is getting along with the other ones in the tank. Now all I have to do is wait for the haze to be gone and I'll be back to my happy self again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home